The Canterbury Street Vent Shaft web page in South Kilburn is operate by the Skanska Costain STRABAG joint undertaking (SCS JV) using a variety of diesel-no cost systems and greener devices.
Innovations on the internet site include a single of the UK’s 1st 160 tonne emissions-absolutely free absolutely electrical crawler cranes, the use of biofuels (Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil) to electric power plant and machinery on web site, an electrical compressor and access to mains ability on a 100% renewable electrical power tariff.
Peter Miller, HS2’s Surroundings Director reported: “We’re delighted to achieve this crucial milestone in our Internet Zero Carbon Strategy.
“HS2 is actively playing a key part in the decarbonisation of the development industry, collaborating with the sector and our provide chain to accelerate innovation in very low-carbon systems.
“Reducing emissions and improving upon air high quality on HS2 design web-sites is critical for the two the setting and encompassing communities.”
James Richardson, Controlling Director of SCS claimed: “We’re thrilled that Canterbury Road Vent Shaft has turn into the to start with diesel-free website on the HS2 task.
“We’re doing the job really hard with our supply chain to introduce renewable vitality, environmentally friendly hydrogen and sustainable biofuels to assist us take away diesel fully from our internet sites by 2023.”
Improvements remaining trialled and released on other web-sites include:
- ‘Clean up Air Gasoline Engine’ funded by means of Innovate British isles and led by OakTec, which replaces diesel energy with ultra-small (bio-LPG) emission engines in Advante Welfare models and standalone models.
- ‘EcoNet’ created by Invisible Methods, Balfour Beatty and Sunbelt which controls and reduces electrical power output from key appliances, minimizing energy need by 30%.
- Non-Road Cell Equipment retrofit solutions which provides air pollution regulate equipment on to older vehicles as an option to changing the machine or the engine, lowering emissions.
- CESAR Emissions Compliance Verification which is a resilient process to exhibit the EU Stage engine emission course of all development plant.
- Proactive dust management options minimizing impacts connected with on-site actions.
- Completely Electric Renewable Electricity applying solar and wind to energy sounds and air top quality displays, website safety cameras and web site briefing areas and photo voltaic pods powering web sites by combining solar PV, battery storage and a back-up generator.
- Hydrogen Technology trials throughout sites contemplating equally gas-mobile engineering and flamable hydrogen options.